Dr. Michael Murray, one of the world’s leading authorities on Natural Medicine explains the importance of digestive enzymes in boosting our immune defences.
Immune system health continues to be the daily focus for millions of people worldwide. Recommendations to improve immunity include social distancing, enhanced hygiene, adequate hydration, plenty sleep and taking vitamins. Dr. Michael Murray also stresses the importance of proteolytic enzymes in boosting immune defences, especially for the respiratory mucosal barrier and gastrointestinal tract, namely enzymes that break down proteins or proteases.
There are two ways for any invader to enter the body:
- Through the respiratory tract
- Through the gastrointestinal tract
For humans, the first natural barrier to infection is the mucosal lining of the respiratory tract which includes the nasal cavity, sinuses, throat and lungs. The second line of defence is the immune system which mostly lives within the gastrointestinal tract.
Certain proteases (which are enzymes that break down proteins) help improve the structure of the mucosal lining. They decrease the thickness and increase the production of mucus to help move microbes out of the body to protect the lungs. They also help support the immune system and the gastrointestinal tract. Nearly all environmental threats to the body contain proteins that protrude from their cell membranes which the immune system must identify and break down. Proteases not only help digest good proteins, but also help to break down unwanted ones.
Protease, or proteolytic enzymes, support the immune system and immune function in the following ways:
- Improve the composition and function of mucus
- Help remove excess secretions, microbes, cellular debris and particle pollution from the airways
- Support digestive enzymes and pancreatic enzyme function
- When taken away from food, proteases digest the proteins on the cell walls of environmental threats such as viruses
Proteolytic enzymes play a significant role in supporting the body’s overall immunity. In addition to practicing self-care and following the right protocols, adding a proteolytic enzyme supplement to your daily routine can help to support immune health. Dr Murray recommends looking for proteolytic enzymes which are therapeutically blended to cover the wide pH ranges found within the human body.
Enzymedica offers a complete range of protease-containing enzyme formulas, including:
- Offers daily immune, respiratory and sinus health support
- Helps break down excess or thick mucus and helps clear airways
- Available in 60 or 120 capsules
- Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily on an empty stomach, one hour before, or two hours after a meal
Enzyme Defense Extra Strength
- For advanced support
- Is 2 times stronger than Enzyme Defense and supports immune, respiratory and sinus health
- Breaks down excess and thick mucus and offers enhanced support for clear airways
- Available in 90 capsules
- Dosage: 1 capsule once daily on an empty stomach, one hour before, or two hours after a meal
- Designed to help breathing during seasonal or occasional congestion
- Breaks down and eliminates excess mucus in the sinus and nasal passages
- Contains Thera-blend™ enzymes that combines multiple strains that work in specific pH levels, resulting in superior performance in the body
- Available in 48 capsules
- Dosage: 2 capsules three times daily on an empty stomach, one hour before, or two hours after a meal
- Contains enzymes to support the body’s natural ability to identify and respond to common or seasonal irritants
- Promotes healthy respiratory function
- Available in 60 capsules
- Dosage: 1 capsule three times daily on an empty stomach, one hour before, or two hours after a meal
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent a disease. If you are pregnant, or nursing, or have any serious medical conditions, you should consult a doctor before use.